Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Post #10--Ch.15: The Study of Language

For this post I decided to dive right into our class and learn a lesson from the book to help me understand the basic knowledge behind sign language and dive deeper into the text.

Two types of sign language:

  • Alternate Sign Language: System of hand signals developed by speakers for a limited communication in a specific context where speech cannot be used. 
  • Primary Sign Language: The first language of a group of people who do not use a spoken language with each other. 
Origins of ASL: 
  • Developed from the French sign language. 
  • Two teachers brought it to America and began training teachers. 
  • This shows us why the British do not have the same language as ASL because it evolved over time. 
The structure of signs include: 
  • Shape and orientation
  • Location and movement
  • Primes, faces, and finger-spelling
As I have mentioned in my previous posts, I have learned how difficult the structure of signs is because I am not used to this in English so my hand position has been one difficult topic for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment