I was going to go and move on to begin learning the language, but I had this feeling that I needed to try to understand the deaf community before I fully began immersing myself in the language so I went back to my church. I just decided that I wanted to be more involved in the experience. I moved up to the front of my church (where the deaf community sits, close to the interpreter) so that I could fully understand what the experience was. I was able to then focus solely on the interpreter and not get distracted by anybody us surrounding me. I watched her complete the signs to connect it to what I was hearing. I felt like I was learning more words tonight than I was in the past, but I knew I probably wouldn't remember them in a couple hours. Sure enough, I was right!
I need to find a way to remember the signs after that particular night. Granted, it isn't going to happen that I learned the language in about three hours because that is impossible, but I need to find a way to retain the information. It will absolutely take a lot of time because this is completely different than what I am used to!
Now next week, we will move on to the basics! Beginning with basic words!
No comments:
Post a Comment